My thoughts on Managers
As the picture above implies a manager must be the base that
holds the organization together. This is done by organizing and monitoring resources to
achieve set goals. A manager is required to work with a variety of resources,
but the resource a manager is involved with most are
Therefore, A Manager:
- Puts people onto teams where they will work together productively.
Finding people with compatible personalities and skills is very important.
- Doesn't leave people "in the dark"!!! A good manager not only keeps
people informed but asks for opinions and acts on them.
- Recognizes people and teams for the accomplishments achieved. Lets
others know how well everyone is doing and what they have accomplished. Pass
the credit for jobs well done to your boss or to your teams.
- Gets along with all types of people.
- Motivates by example. Use honesty, integrity, and work skills to develop
lasting relationships. If people feel they can trust you they will be less
apt to "seek greener pastures".
- Must keep his cool when dealing with crisis situations. Getting angry
just aggravates a situation and escalates it into a situation that is out of
In my various management roles I have found that open communication (speaking
and listening), giving people the freedom to do their jobs, pride of ownership,
and mentoring have keep my teams happy, motivated, and close. I feel I have been
successful when people want to join the group and no one wants to leave.